Being a Momma

Being A Mom is the most important job you will ever do. A day’s work in the life of a mom cannot be measured by stacks of paper, trophies won or products sold. At the end of each day, you find that there are still dirty diapers to be changed, mouths to feed and floors to clean. However, in between all these tasks that seem, at times, to be mundane, there is an incredible sense of joy that accompanies motherhood. Join with us, as we take pride and pleasure in the simple smile of a child. From entertaining, to strictly applying discipline, we would like to walk with you through this journey, in hopes of offering some ideas, tips, hope... and maybe even a giggle or two.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Healthy Snacks

If your like me when I am in a hurry to make lunch for my kids I don't always pick from a whole lot of variety. We do peanut butter and jelly or mac and cheese way too often. Here are a couple cute and healthy snacks I have let the kids create at our house lately. I have found that when they get to help put it together, most of the time, they are more likely to be excited about eating it.

I gave the kids their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and some raisins and a Kix for the nose and sliced celery really thin for the legs and arms. They put it all together.
We call these banana boats. You just slice the banana down the middle, then fill it with peanut butter and add some raisins and animal crackers. Great for a lesson about Noah's Ark.
What healthy snack ideas do you have that you want to share? It doesn't even have to be something the kids can put together. Just quick but healthy!

7 comments:

Regan said...

I just found these great individual servings of edamame at Costco. You pop a tray in the microwave for 3 minutes and then you can salt them if desired. I know they may frown upon them at first because they are green, but usually the kids have a fun time "popping" the soy bean out of it's pod. The box has 12 servings and it about 6 or 7 dollars.

Unknown said...

Breast milk

Hanson Family said...

Thanks for these ideas, I am not that great at coming up with healthy snacks. Hopefully I'll start thinking of some better ones too.

Brent and Randi said...

I gave my kids at school fruit slices for snack one day. When they were finished, we took the left overs and used them as stamps. You dip them in paint and stamp it on the paper. My kids had paper with a tree on it and they made it into an apple tree. They love the chance to play with their food.

Lisa said...

We love dipping cinnamon toast into a glass of cold milk. I make it by toasting some whole wheat bread, buttering it lightly, and sprinkling it with cinnamon sugar. THEN I pop it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. It gives the toast a nice crunchy top.

I also like to slice up apples and dip them in some kind of acidic juice to keep them from turning brown: orange juice blends and pineapple juice are our favorites - lemon can be a bit sour for small kids. It makes an ordinary apple a little more interesting.

Storms, Rainbows and Sunshine said...

My son loves to dip his food. I got him to eat carrots by letting him dip them in peanut butter. Apples are also go dipped in peanut butter.

Trinity said...

We love apples all the time already, but we also like to dip them in some yogurt (strawberry is great) mixed with a little cool whip. All fruits become a little special with this easy, healthy dip.

I also use cookie cutters a lot to make fun shapes out of toast, cheese, tortillas, or anything like that for something fun.

Love your cute banana boats too!