Being a Momma

Being A Mom is the most important job you will ever do. A day’s work in the life of a mom cannot be measured by stacks of paper, trophies won or products sold. At the end of each day, you find that there are still dirty diapers to be changed, mouths to feed and floors to clean. However, in between all these tasks that seem, at times, to be mundane, there is an incredible sense of joy that accompanies motherhood. Join with us, as we take pride and pleasure in the simple smile of a child. From entertaining, to strictly applying discipline, we would like to walk with you through this journey, in hopes of offering some ideas, tips, hope... and maybe even a giggle or two.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Accountability

A little game we play at our house is Good choice/ Bad choice. Some times when we are eating dinner or riding in the car I give the kids a scenario like....is it a good choice or a bad choice to hit your brother...then they say "Bad choice". Then, "Is it a good choice or bad choice to tell your Dad 'I love you'."I give them like 10 or so at a time, some good and some bad. They have hardly ever answered wrong. Children know what is right and wrong, most of the time. Teaching them accountability is where the test comes in. So then we have a real situation, say one of my girl's steals a toy from the other. I whip out my good choice/bad choice. I say something like, "Is it a good choice or a bad choice to take toys from some one else?" Most of the time I get a brief, "Bad choice." Then I say, "So what would be a good choice?" Then she has to go through a list of other things that would be good choices like: "ask her if I can use it when she is done" or "ask her if she wants to switch me for the toy that I had". It works well to help them internalize the choice that they made and then think about the better alternatives to that choice.

Also if the answer ever turns to, "Well she made me mad" or "She did this...so I did this" I remind them that it is their choice to be mad or to lash out, no one can make us do anything. We still have the choice on how we react. To act for yourself has become a rare virtue in our society. Act not react.

What are some ideas you use to teach kids accountability?

2 comments:

Randi said...

My kids at school are a bit older so I use something that asks them to identify the mistake they are making. When they are doing something that they shouldn't, I look at them and say "can you solve that problem" They then know that they are doing something they shouldn't and they can think of a better solution. They appreciate it because I am not voicing their mistake foe all to hear. They can solve it themselves.

Alicia Steere said...

I like this idea...I am going to start doing this with Shelby!!! Thanks for the tips, and by the way, I love this blog! You are so creative! :)