Being a Momma

Being A Mom is the most important job you will ever do. A day’s work in the life of a mom cannot be measured by stacks of paper, trophies won or products sold. At the end of each day, you find that there are still dirty diapers to be changed, mouths to feed and floors to clean. However, in between all these tasks that seem, at times, to be mundane, there is an incredible sense of joy that accompanies motherhood. Join with us, as we take pride and pleasure in the simple smile of a child. From entertaining, to strictly applying discipline, we would like to walk with you through this journey, in hopes of offering some ideas, tips, hope... and maybe even a giggle or two.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Potty training

My identical twins were totally different in their potty training. Right after my little boy was born I just stuck them in panties one day, sort of as a joke, because I didn't want to have 3 kids in diapers. I just let them run around in the panties and then go to the potty like every 5 minutes. The younger of the two thought it was the coolest thing in the world and potty trained the very next day. The other one was afraid of the toilet and took another 10 months to talk into potty training. She finally decided it was because she didn't want anyone else in the room. When I finally took away the crowd, her sister and brother, she felt comfortable and potty trained herself. Now I am starting to potty train a little boy and so I stuck him in underwear. It had Lightning Mcqueen, from Cars, on it. Every time I took him to the potty he refused to pull them down to sit and try to go. He would scream every time. Even after he wet his pants, he kicked and screamed when I went to take them off. At that point I decided maybe it just wasn't the time and put all his new underwear away for a while.

What ideas do you have for potty training boys? What about for girls? I know this is one that lots of kids struggle with, so if it worked we want to hear about it!

7 comments:

Alli said...

I have not used this technique but I saw it on tv and the mothers seemed to really like it. If you make a book about your little boy. Have him be the star and turning into a big boy. Show him his parts of the body what they do and why. Then go through a what happens with the food in his body. I am trying to make this short sorry. Anyways in the end he goes on the potty and gets praised like crazy. Then you see if he wants to try and go on the potty too.

Just a suggestion. Everytime my son goes #1 on the potty he gets a treat is usually like a minnie marshmellow or something. He gets two for #2 as well. As soon as we have a week with no accidents then we will ween off of the treats.

Lisa said...

Ashlee, I really love this blog. What a great idea, and I love reading about things that work for you. What lucky kids to have you as their momma!

Dani said...

My biggest suggestion is wait til they are ready, or show interest in the potty. When people used to say that, I thought, "You just need to assert your authority as a parent, and when you are ready to train them, make them." I obviously had not potty-trained a child yet.

We started Carter out by trying to have him sit on the potty and he did it a few times, and then started freaking out every time we asked if he wanted to sit on the potty. I just let go of it for a few months, and then one day Carter asked to sit on the potty, I let him, and he went pee! This was pretty recently, so he asks to sit on the potty a couple of times a day.

We are going to put him in underwear this week and see what he does. We'll give it a couple of days, and if he doesn't take to it, then we will go back to just letting him sit on it when he wants.

Kids each reach their "ready" point at different times, and though they will need encouragement, go at each child's own pace...... What am I saying?! I don't even have a potty trained child yet! :)

Amanda said...

Dee Dee told me she put cherios in the toilet and told brad to aim. and then he was potty trained. lol but i have not potty trained a boy yet. so i am not the best advice giver on that. :)

breena rae said...

I knew Brighton would pee every time I put her in the tub. So, we stuck her on the potty right before the tub and it worked! Now she is slowly going more and more each day in the potty...I'm still really surprised. It could be some infatuation right now, but she sees me do it, so I figure she's figuring out. But I'm sure every kid is different. We're still in the middle of it...so who knows what will continue to work.

Oh, go to my blog and check out my husband's new kid dvd!

Unknown said...

I am not experienced at all, but I have ideas. I am going to start Dax off by putting him on a step stool and Pee standing up like all boys. No sitting on the toilet to pee girly style. A boy is a boy right? Then I agree with that cheerio thing. Just tell him to hit that cheerio...Maybe have him watch Grant pee a few times to see how it works. but what do I know, that may not work at all.

Diana said...

My oldest daughter has multiple disabilities and will pretty much always be in diapers. I had to get creative when it came time to potty train my subsequent children because I didn't have the "big girls wear panties" as a solid argument. :D They saw their older sister perfectly happy in diapers. It's funny, really, it's okay to giggle at this! ;) Anyway, we had to wait until they could be rationalized with. Both of my next daughters were older when they finally trained because they kind of had to be able to understand that not everyone is the same first and then do it their own way. It was a long road! I'm glad to be at the other end of it! Baby brudder will be a whole 'nother story, I'm sure! I vote that Daddy takes care of that one! :D